Grade 11 ToK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-linguistic thought

2 posters

Go down

Pre-linguistic thought Empty Pre-linguistic thought

Post  HannahB Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 am

I was just wondering what you guys think about pre-linguistic thought, and whether it is possible that this type of thinking existed without the use of words and that the use of language came along after to describe these thoughts?

A thought that came to be when i read this was cavemen. In early times, when humans were evolving I'm sure we are all familiar with the caveman image - people dressed in animal skins around a fire with drawings on the walls. Art is a form of communication and without the use of words, images can be used to express thoughts and ideas. Yeah, just putting that out there. Smile

HannahB

Back to top Go down

Pre-linguistic thought Empty pre-linguist thought

Post  sharmaineb Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I think that this type of "language" or form of communication did exist and still does. The example of the cavemen was perfect for a time when there wasn't an actual language for us to understand. An example of using art as a symbol of communication today can be said for the Chinese language. They use characters which for them is basically like writing a language but we can interpret it somewhat differently. Most of the characters look like what they are trying to explain such as a horse. The character for horse somewhat looks like an animal which can help with it's meaning. The character for moon looks like a moon and the character for rain looks somewhat like rain. As you can see, some languages still use the method of "art" as a form of language. A picture can definitely be worth a thousand words which is why it is still used in some places today.

sharmaineb

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum